Back to Top
Ultimate Caprese Salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, preferably heirloom, halved
- 7 tablespoons (or more) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Flaky sea salt
- 2 mixed medium and large tomatoes, preferably heirloom, cut into thin slices and/or wedges
- 8 ounces buffalo mozzarella or mozzarella, room temperature, torn into pieces
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Small basil leaves and toasted country bread (for serving)
- Toss cherry tomatoes with 1 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl; season with salt.
- Arrange tomato slices on a platter, slightly overlapping; season generously with salt. Arrange mozzarella over tomatoes; lightly season mozzarella with salt. Spoon cherry tomatoes over salad and drizzle with 6 Tbsp. oil; season with pepper. Let stand 30 minutes to let flavors meld and release juices from tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Top salad with basil and additional salt and oil, if desired. Serve with bread alongside.
Cover photo and recipe credit to: Epicurious