Here are some salad tips-
Temperature- Salads prefer cool temperatures below 72 degrees. Take care to keep your garden away from sunny windows that might increase the temperature. If you are struggling with keeping your salad garden cool, try the following tips:
- Add ice cubes to the water bowl regularly.
- Place your garden in a cooler area in your home, such as a basement.
- Avoid placing your garden near other gardens or appliances that might give off heat.
Harvesting- There are two ways to harvest your salad greens.
- Remove whole leaves by cutting the base of the leaf with scissors or shears, or by gently pinching off with you fingers. Spread your harvest evenly across your garden.
- Prune the top 1/3 of the leaves, as if you are giving it a hair cut!
- Avoid harvesting right after adding liquid nutrients to your garden, it will have a mineral taste as the lettuce quickly absorbs the nutrients.