One of the Seed Pod Kits that we offer is called the Chili Pepper Kit. Within this kit, are seeds for Purple Super Hots. It is a beautiful plant that is ornamental as well as edible. The peppers on this plant are small, but don't let that fool you, because they pack a punch!
Starting off, the plant will produce purple peppers (like the name suggests) and then they eventually start to turn red. We have found that the purple peppers are a little more bitter, and when they turn red, they become a bit sweeter.
When the plant was giving us more peppers than we knew what to do with, we decided to try and make a hot sauce. We did not have to try very hard, because one of our AeroGarden enthusiast beat us to it! She has given us permission to use her recipe, and we got to try the end result and WOW, the sauce is definitely spicy! So put on some gloves and let's make some sauce!
- 8 ounces Purple Super Hots- ends cut off
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped AeroGarden basil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Juice from 1 lime
- In a large bowl, add hot peppers, garlic, basil, brown sugar, honey and rum. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture over a baking sheet, reserving any remaining liquid from the bowl.
- Roast in the oven for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Cool, then add the mixture to a food processor with the reserved liquid, apple cider vinegar and salt to taste. Process until smooth.
- With a fine mesh strainer, pour the liquid into a bowl. Get all the liquid out until you are left with a paste. Toss the paste.
- Swirl in lime juice and pour the sauce into a glass container or bottle. Cover and let it sit for at least 24 hours or longer for the flavors to blend.
Filled one tabasco bottle plus a little extra.
Heat Level: Hot.
Thanks freespiritedbohemian.com for the great recipe & content!
Are you going to try and make this? Let us know what you think!