YIELD: Serves 4 to 6
2 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste
1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 heaping tablespoon whole grain mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
1. Whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, and both mustards in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Cover the aioli and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
2. Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches, and add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until a skewer inserted into the center of a potato meets some resistance, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well and let cool slightly.
3. Heat your grill to medium for direct grilling.
4. Put the potatoes in a large bowl, toss with the aioli, and season with salt. Grill until golden brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
5. Transfer the potatoes to a platter, sprinkle with the fresh herbs, and season with salt and pepper.