Grilled Eggplant with Peppers and Herbs
This dish works well as a side with grilled steaks or over pasta as a main dish.
- 2 lb eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into ½-inch strips
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1½ tsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh savory leaves
Heat grill to medium-high. Brush eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Grill eggplant until grill marks are apparent and the eggplant is tender. Let cool, cut into 1-inch chunks and set aside.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add the slices of peppers and sauté until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato, basil, thyme, savory, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and grilled eggplant and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, add eggplant and serve.