Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
Strawberry shortcake is such a delicious dessert, especially when you are using fresh strawberries grown in your AeroGarden. With the added chocolate flavor, this recipe is sure to make your taste buds happy!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds small strawberries (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 8 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chilled sour cream
Biscuits: Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla until firm peaks form. Combine cream with dry ingredients and stir until moist clumps form. Place mixture on lightly floured surface and knead gently until you have a doughy texture. Pat dough out to 3/4-inch thickness. Using 3-inch cutter, cut out biscuits. Gather dough, pat out again, and cut out total of 6 biscuits.
Place biscuits on baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake biscuits until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean (about 15 minutes). Let the biscuits cool.
Strawberries: Stir strawberries, 6 tablespoons powdered sugar, orange juice, Grand Marnier, orange peel and salt in medium bowl. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Using electric mixer, beat chilled whipping cream, sour cream, and remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Place large spoonful of berries with juices atop biscuits. Top with whipped cream.