There is something about fall ingredients that work so well with salads. The sour of the cranberry mixed with the sweet butternut squash over a bed of kale, it is perfection. This Autumn inspired salad uses fresh kale and parsley that you can grow in any of the AeroGardens.
- Half a head of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 1 apple, slivered
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp local honey
- Cayenne pepper or paprika to taste
- 1 large head of kale- grown in your AeroGarden
- 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley – grown in your AeroGarden
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts. walnuts, or almonds
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Trim about 1 inch off the head of the garlic, exposing the cloves. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, rub it in, then wrap in foil. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the individual cloves are completely soft. Remove from the oven, set aside, and enjoy the smell of roasted garlic in your kitchen.
- While roasting the garlic, roast the squash. Toss the cubed squash with 2 tablespoons of the oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly onto a large baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the pieces are browned and cooked through. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, stir together 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and cayenne. Squeeze the roasted garlic into the dressing. Stir well, breaking up the garlic. Set aside.
- Separate your kale leaves and remove the spine with a sharp knife, then slice into thin strips. Toss with your dressing, then add the apples, cranberries, nuts, and roasted squash pieces. Top with shaved parmesan and serve.